Sunday, March 8, 2009

Oh, yeah...

Aside from learning what I already knew (that I know nothing about retail, and am not suited for it), I've relearned a valuable lesson I'd forgotten over the years: I don't like doing public relations, and I'm not really suited for that either.
There was a time when I was actually paid to do PR.  Fortunately, I discovered my shortfall in that area before my bosses did, and quit to move on to other stuff before anyone noticed I wasn't ... well, I wasn't relating to the public.  They -- particularly the media -- weren't interested in the things I was promoting.  Specifically, there's a P.G. Wodehouse line about a novelist expecting a reaction being like throwing a piece of paper into a well and awaiting the splash.  I know the feeling...

I suppose I can't complain.  Our Karant Jou gallery (which is the cause of all this personal growth and discovery) opened to decent crowds, congratulations from friends and some press attention (including a really nice listing in the Staunton paper's weekend section: www.newsleader.com/article/20090226/NEWS01/90226004)  But others I would have thought might have noticed, let alone covered us, have said nothing.

Ah, well, I guess I must keep a sense of perspective...

No comments:

Post a Comment