Monday, March 23, 2009

Just when I begin to feel guilty...

Although I have only one follower (thanks, Andy!), I begin to feel guilty when I don't update this fairly frequently.  After all, isn't that the point of this whole instant media thing?

I was brought to think of it because one of the blogs I normally follow hasn't been updated since the 7th.  It's a professional site, so while someone is paid to do it, I understand that they also have other things to take care of.  Still, hunt something up.  Really, what's the point, otherwise?

It makes me think of all those companies, as the web was really gaining traction, that paid huge amounts of money to have pretty websites built that did absolutely nothing.  They were nothing but electronic billboards, and often indecipherable ones.  They threw up whatever the web geeks told them, because marketing said they needed "web presence."  But no one really knew what that meant...

Apparently millions upon millions of blogs are created every day.  I guess the world is a big place, and everyone has something to say.  However, as Robert Wilensky now famously said, "We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."  And statistics I've seen show that millions upon millions of blogs are abandoned every day by people variously losing interest and discovering they don't have the time and (in many cases, thank God) discovering they've run out of things to say.

Well, you're stuck with me.  Or, perhaps, as Douglas Adams wrote in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, "There's an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk to us about this script for Hamlet they've worked out." ...

No comments:

Post a Comment