Monday, February 16, 2009

And so it starts...

I'm told that one must do things like this to increase one's profile.  And I'm told that one must increase one's profile (sadly, not solely through good food and wine) to increase one's business.  And as I'm rather fond of good food and wine, business must be done.  So, at least my friends will be relieved of some of the burden of listening to me go on about my latest interests...

As a start, I'll explain that "cat typing" is a term I discovered on the Word Spy website (www.wordspy.com), defined as: "The random keystrokes made by a cat as it walks across a computer keyboard."  My thoughts are often about that organized, but hopefully somewhat more interesting.

I was sent to Word Spy by a friend, who had found the term "The Arsenic Hour."  If you're a parent, it's worth looking up.

The tradition in navy wardrooms (or the gunroom, where young junior officers messed in the days of sail) was that conversation was not allowed of politics, women and religion.  Those subjects would often end in arguments, and when at sea for months at a stretch, arguments and hurt feelings are not productive.

My plan is to avoid mainly politics, a sure path to unresolvable disagreement, often marked by ad hominem attacks.  Religion and women are not really an open subject for me: Both have been long resolved by church membership and marriage, and thus would be rather monotone subjects of discussion.

Thus, I may be limiting the level of readership.  But I do hope to be somewhat clever and generally diverting as I write about the things I have discovered, photographed and generally become interested in...

1 comment:

  1. hey! I think the level of readership will be perfect. No politics, religion, or women, with some cats and sick kids thrown in...sounds like a winner :D

    Corynn
    we have a blog too!

    ReplyDelete