Tuesday, February 24, 2009

And I really mean it...

The blog seems to be the graveyard of good intentions, or rather the haunted house.  By that I mean that, for every entry I've managed to do here, I've thought of at least three -- and probably more -- clever ruminations that haven't appeared.  Their ghosts now hang over the "Create Post" area, weakly moaning, the barest, faint outlines of their original forms drifting about in a thin cloud of regret and frustration.

There was, for example, the micro-essay on the Academy Awards that I thought of Sunday night.  It would touch on my eagerly watching them year after year, even as I've managed to break the habits of presidential speeches and Sunday talk shows.  (The common thread: All are essentially meaningless in themselves; it's only the myth of what happened that is established afterwards through constant commentary and repetition that matters.)  There would be the humorous, self-deprecating aside about how, like anyone who works in film, I have imagined being there and accepting an award ... even though the documentary category is probably the moment everyone chooses to go to the bathroom.  And I won't go into what I think about Michael Moore winning, aside from saying his film stretches the definition of "documentary" beyond breaking.

But my memory of it ends there.  That brilliant thought -- I know it was brilliant, because that's how I remember it -- has evaporated, first a mist and now ... poof, nothing, my hands grasping the air in hopes of catching that last little drop.  It's gone, another ghost in the machine.

There are others, some of which I hope to recover, like the explanation of my love of ellipses...

However, in the end, all I can do is renew my resolve.  Lent is a good time for that.  Let the ashes be spread, and my thoughts broadcast to the internet world.  God help us all...

No comments:

Post a Comment