Friday, February 6, 2015

Things I Would Write About If I Had the Time ...


Just because I go a month without posting doesn't mean I'm not thinking about stuff to put here.  It's generally just that I don't have the time, either to properly research and compose a piece, or to merely sit quietly at the computer for a sufficient period of time to get down my thoughts ...

But, among the ideas I've had are:

The Horrors of Overwriting, specifically the song "Mr. Bojangles" and the book Bridges of Madison County.  Sometimes writers put just a little too much effort into composing artful work, producing phrases and sentences that are grindingly overdone.

How does ISIS get these kids to fight for them?  Perhaps we should look at Clockwork Orange and ask if the current Middle East, specifically the area around Syria, doesn't resemble the world in Anthony Burgess' novel.  Just replace the garbled Russian he used for slang with garbled Arabic ...

And while we're at comparisons, I was wondering this morning if there was a decent comparison between today's complaints of a wealthy 1 percent and greater income disparity and the scene in Victorian England.  Probably not a useful parallel, as I suspect there was a large middle class, mostly forgotten because of their absence in the period literature from then that we read today.

Anyway, I keep trying.  We may see that first one yet ...


No comments:

Post a Comment