Saturday, January 12, 2013

Blog more, Facebook less?



Just going back through my Facebook posts (perhaps a bit egocentric, but it has its place, I think; sort of like Googling oneself), and it occurred to me that there is the fairly frequent posting that really could be nicely posted as a longer blog post.

However, I have this ... well, "philosophy" is too grand a word for it.  Feeling, perhaps.  Anyway, I think the blog should actually be used to say something, something that is hopefully interesting and fairly well written.  Something that you might actually enjoy reading.  Otherwise, a blog is little more than the scrawlings of a self-centered pre-teen in her precious diary.

On the other hand, as I said once before here, I see this as the place to expound on ideas that strike me as worthy of some thought, the sort of thing that strikes you in a quiet moment when a number of seemingly unconnected concepts come together to form something that is maybe not profound, but hopefully intriguing.  And to tell the occasional story.

Nonetheless -- see above -- I want that thought to be fully expressed, and that takes time, as well as some effort to write well.  Whereas Facebook just makes it so easy: link to a clever picture, make a snarky comment, and sit back for your friends' reactions.

Perhaps I need to put more thought, and time, into my life, and fewer quick, easy one-offs...


No comments:

Post a Comment